Translate

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Book 1: Delirium: Chapter 1: Sky Skimmer


Sky Skimmer

England, 1918

My dearest Madeline,
I feel I must apologize for my lateness in this, my latest correspondence.  I cannot possibly hope to convey the pain that news of your father’s condition causes me.  I can only express my deepest and most sincere hope that I will find Charles well upon my arrival at your home by the next fortnight. 
            Regards,
            Uncle Max

Putting down his quill, Doctor Demetrius reread his latest letter to Madeline Von Barthew, the daughter of his childhood friend; Winchester “Charles” Von Barthew Esq.  His old friend had always preferred that he be called anything but Winchester, and those close to him had regally dubbed him “Charles”.  That should do it, he thought; now I must take my leave of this place.  My airship waits above the veranda for my departure.  It is important to note here, that the doctor is a man of great wealth and that having a personal airship to travel by is most uncommon even for someone of his stature.
“Doctor?  Doctor Demetrius, are you ready yet?  The crewmen are anxious to depart,” the steward called from the landing.
“Yes, yes, just a moment, I have just to send this letter ahead to the Barthew residence.  Tell Captain Kruler I will be aboard presently.  My things are stowed, yes?”
“Of course, Doctor.  And may I take the liberty of informing the captain to start the engines?”
“Certainly my good steward, I will be down shortly.  I simply need to make a few preparations first.”  Now then, I may need this by my arrival.  I had best take care to see that it is loaded.  Strapping his silver Le Matt nine shot revolver safely in its holster, making sure all nine rounds were loaded, as well as the single, twenty gauge slug underneath the revolver barrel, the doctor readied himself.  Filling his belt pouches with extra rounds, he stepped out to the veranda dressed in a black trench coat and boots, his monocle gleaming in the sun.  A large, bearded man in a blue coat was waiting to greet him.
The man had a Pepper Box revolver on his hip, as well as a pirate cutlass held to his side by a thick leather strap.  Doctor Demetrius knew that the seemingly cumbersome sword was a formidable weapon.  At thirty-seven inches long, twenty-five of which were blade, the machine was as fierce as it was inherently deadly.  With its chainsaw like blade, in the hand of a seasoned sailor like the Captain, the cutlass was as elegant as a rapier, yet as versatile a tool as the primitive boarding axes of the old days.  The man extended his hand in greeting.
“Doctor Demetrius, the ship is prepped and ready per your usual standards.  We are ready to take leave as soon as you are,” the captain said in a commanding tone.
“It is good to see you as well my friend.  I take it our usual arrangement is set as well?” Doctor Demetrius replied inquisitively.
“Your quarters are ready my old friend.  And Demetrius…” Captain Kruler trailed off.
“Yes?  What is on your mind, Captain?”
“Do you really need to carry that firearm?  You know you will be safe on the ship.”
“I do know that.  But I may well have need of it when we land.”
“Of course, of course.  Always thinking ahead aren’t you, Doctor?”
“It was my consistent planning that saved us back in Bixon in eighty-two, wasn’t it?”
“Aye, it was.  I had almost forgotten how handy you were in a tussle.”
“It has been a while, hasn’t it?”
“Aye.  But enough idle conversation, we best get underway.”
“Let us be underway,” Doctor Demetrius agreed, “take charge of your vessel, Captain Kruler.”
The pair stepped on to the lower deck as the boarding ramp rose behind them.  The airship, christened Sky Skimmer by its captain, was a sight to behold, with its two massive balloons above the main deck and six massive wings alongside the hull.  The inside of the vessel, the walls of which had previously been lined only with turning gears and pipes, was now fully furnished, complete with a lavish master bedroom, to the standards of comfort set forth by the aristocracy.  Steam technology had come a long way since the early 1800s and especially concerning travel.  While, there were still trains and the old standby, horse and buggy, airships were the most popular way now, and by far one of the fastest.  The only real danger was the occasional pirate band that frequented the skies. 
The Doctor took his usual seat in the living quarters, while the Captain made his way to the command deck.  The massive airship parted from the veranda and after a few passes over the estate, lifted into the rolling clouds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment